A route is a set of destinations where a call can be delivered. Up to seven routes can be set up in each Control service, so there are seven possible destinations for each Smartnumber.
Routes can be given names (e.g. Desk phones, Out of Office announcement) to make them more recognisable. For calls to be delivered to a route it must be part of an active plan. Routes can either be set as the Primary, Secondary or Tertiary route within a plan.
You can update the route names from the routing table itself or by importing your routing table as a spreadsheet:
- Simply go to the routing table and click the route heading, e.g. "Route 1", then input the desired new name
- When uploading the import file, the route names in column A will be updated based on the file
To add or update routes within a Control routing service and change where your numbers are getting routed to, you can either edit them directly in the routing table or by exporting, editing, and importing a spreadsheet.
Your routes can be changed directly from the Control interface. This is especially useful if you need to make a quick change to a particular route.
1. Select the numbers to update
- Click on the checkbox to the left of the numbers that you would like to update routes for to select the
- Click Edit to change the routing for the selected numbers
2. Edit your numbers and routes
- To change the friendly name saved for a number or the associated email, click on a cell in the Email or Name columns
- To enable a route that was previously not used in your routing service, click on the three-dot menu in the route column header
- To edit the route, click into the relevant cell under a route that is enabled. The menu allows you to:
- Disable the route
- Transfer calls to the number under the route to a DDI
- Play an announcement to the caller (you can upload one with the audio files permission or use one of the previously uploaded ones - these can be managed in the audio files area). You can also listen to a preview of the selected audio file by pressing the Play button.
- Override to call flow (advanced option that allows further routing via the relevant call flow - to use this option, please contact Smartnumbers Support at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Announcements could be used to notify a caller that a number is no longer in use, or that an evacuation is currently taking place and advise them to call back later.
Using a table processor offline
You can also download and reimport the whole call routing table, so that you can make updates using a table processor of your choice.
1. Export table
- Export a copy of the routing service table by clicking 'Export' and then 'Download'.
Your browser might block the download on the first attempt so please keep an eye out for any pop-ups or error messages in the URL bar.
2. Complete/Update table
- The 'Call Routing' tab in the downloaded file will contain your Smartnumbers. Simply add up to 7 routes for each Smartnumber in columns (D-J).
- Each route can contain:
- Transfer to number (a DDI starting with a +)
- Play an announcement (using a previously uploaded audio file, in the format "Announcement: filename") where filename refers to the name you gave the audio file in when uploading it to Smartnumbers
- Nothing (disables the route)
- You can name your Smartnumbers and routes to make them more recognisable, as well as provide an email address for each number.
- Save the file.
3. Import table
- Import the saved file by clicking the ‘Import’ button.
When you set up your routes, you will also be prompted to create your first plan.
Article is closed for comments.