The audio files area, accessible from the left-hand navigation pane in Smartnumbers Hub, can be used to manage the audio files you have in your Smartnumbers tenancy.
These files can then be used in Control services as routes instead of a delivery number and in Announcements and Interactive Voice Response (IVR) in call flows. The audio files area provides a central place to manage files:
Uploading new audio files
The audio files area shows a table of files that can be used in Control, Announcements and IVRs. Above the table you can search for a file by name and also upload a new audio file.
To upload a new audio file:
- Make sure your audio file is in WAV format
- Click Upload audio file
- Drag and drop the file into the dialog or press Choose file to find it on your device
- Click Next and give your audio file a display name (this is how the file will be displayed when using it in call flows or Control and can be different from the original file name)
- Click Save to make the file available
- If you are editing a call flow or a Control or basic routing route in a separate tab and want to use the new file, make sure you press Refresh list to be able to pick the newly uploaded audio file
Usually there is no need to worry about the particular encoding of the WAV file you would like to use as the vast majority of audio files in WAV format are supported. In the unlikely event you receive an error when uploading your file confirm that it meets the following requirements:
- Waveform Audio File Format (.wav) - other file formats cannot be used for now
- Stereo or mono - e.g. quadraphonic or surround sound files are not accepted
- Using A-law or PCM-signed encoding - e.g. U-law encoding may not be used
Please note that the uploaded audio file will get downsampled to 8000Hz mono, so that it can be played to callers via the telephone network.
You can also upload files directly in the call flow designer when adding an IVR or announcement service, in a Control service, or in a basic routing service using the Upload button. The uploaded file can then be used in other places and managed along with other audio files.
Managing audio files
For each audio file that has been uploaded, you can see its display name and perform actions on it through the three dot menu on the right-hand side:
- Edit audio file
Change the display name of the audio file. This is the name that will be shown in dropdown menus allowing users to choose an audio file and is distinct from the original uploaded file's name.
- Delete audio file
Clicking delete will remove the audio file and stop playing it wherever it was previously used. This will cause your announcements to not be played correctly for callers if the audio file is used in a live call flow.
Previewing audio files
You can also play the content of the audio file by clicking the Play button next to the three-dot menu. This allows you to confirm that the file is named correctly and that sounds like it should:
This opens an overlay on top of the page where you can quickly confirm that the audio file's contents are as expected. You can play, pause, replay, and jump to a particular time in the file using the play bar.